Construction of the Elisabeth church began in 1235 by the Teutonic Order of Knights above the final resting place of Saint Elisabeth of Thuringia and was consecrated in 1283.
In the past, this site fulfilled three functions: As the grave of Saint Elisabeth it acted as a church of pilgrimage, sepulchre of the Landgraves of Hesse and an important church for the Teutonic Order.
Here, those master builders created their own interpretation of a French cathedral that became the prototype for the Gothic hall church, and which would go on to play an important role in the development of Gothic architecture in Germany.
The stained glass windows depict the life of Saint Elisabeth and her acts of charity, and represent some of the most important examples of Gothic glass work. Adorned with precious stones, the golden Shrine of Elisabeth can only be described as spectacular.
Today, the evangelic community church is a prominent monument of religious architectural creativity and the destination of many tens of thousands of visitors annually.