The history of the water divide stretches back to the Middle Ages. It was here in the 13th century that Saint Elisabeth entered the town through the Hiltwinspforte, a small side entrance. Shortly after her death in 1231, so many people started arriving in Marburg that not only was the side entrance converted into a main gate leading to her burial place, but work on the new town began in front of the gate in 1235.
The remnants of the town wall still lead up to the hill castle and are visible behind the drinking well. A cellar is located behind the well wall, formerly a large water basin, in which was diverted via pipes from a spring located over two kilometres away. Until 1883, the water was distributed from here to the fountains located below.