© Marburg Stadt und Land Tourismus GmbH
The Gothic sandstone building was built shortly after the devastating fire of 1319 with a medieval garderobe and a typical Gothic crow-stepped gable. The name implies that the massive stone structure was quite special in early Marburg, as most buildings were timber-framed.
Between the middle of the 14th and the 19th century, the stone house was the family home of important patricians and influential citizens, court officials and professors. Today, it houses a very popular marriage room used by the Registry Office, which has since relocated. The building’s historic cellar has been home to a typical student pub for years.