Chapel of St. Michael
© Georg Kronenberg
The small Gothic chapel was consecrated in 1270 – in other words before Elisabeth church (1283). It was built by the Teutonic Order. Presumably the main motivation for its construction was to relocate the Pilgrim's Cemetery away from Elisabeth church and buildings of the Order, which were, at that time, under construction.
After 1530, citizens of Marburg also began to be interred here. The last burial took place in 1888, the oldest surviving gravestone dates from 1566.
Chapel of St. Michael is not open to the public. However, interested parties can visit the old graveyard at any time – today it is a small park with a very particular atmosphere.