Lutheran Marian parish church
With its unmistakable slanting tower, the Lutheran Marian parish church is an integral part of Marburg’s skyline.
The oldest section of the current parish church is the chancel, built in 1297 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was built by the Teutonic Order and as an extension of the pre-existing Romanesque church. Work on the nave began 20 years later, followed much later by the tower. Construction was completed in 1488. The massive, stone font that originates from the original Romanesque church was presumably seen by Saint Elisabeth during her visits to the church between 1228 and 1231.
The Gothic hall church, with its nave and two aisles, chancel and tower is the oldest parish church in Marburg and has been at the centre of religious and town life for centuries. After several changes of confession, it is currently an evangelic parish church.
Lutherischer Pfarrhof 1
Tel.: +49 (0)6421 3400695