Medieval town gate
Marburg’s only medieval town gate, which is still accessible, was built between 1230 and 1235 during expansion of the town. Surrounded by a thick wall, Marburg then stretched out around the castle in a rough, semi-circular shape that connected four town gates.
For security reasons, the medieval town gate was closed at the start of the Thirty-Years War (1618 to 1648) and only opened again in 1874.
Around the medieval town gate, large sections of the old town wall survive on both sides.